The foot of a newborn child grows very rapidly in his/her first year of life. Your top rated podiatrist in Gallup, NM, Dr. Hugentobler would like to share these tips on caring for your child’s feet to ensure that they aren’t neglected.
- Examine your newborn’s feet – Early treatment of abnormalities such as a club foot can often prevent the need for surgery. a small number of infants are born with feet that bend inward from the middle to the toes – called Metatarsus Abductus – which should resolve itself. Corrective shoes or casts may be recommended from your Gallup podiatrist if the issue doesn’t resolve itself by six to nine months.
- A flatfoot, or a pronated foot, in a very young child is usually painless and may solve itself. But it may be a problem if a child is overweight or as a child grows. If a child doesn’t grow out of such an occurrence, treatment with orthotics is recommended by your Animas Foot & Ankle podiatrist in Gallup.
- A common condition for a child learning to walk is in-toeing, feet pointed inwards instead of straight ahead, which may lead to a child tripping more often. With proper encouragement & stretching exercises, children tend outgrow this condition. In some cases, Orthotics or foot supports may be needed – consult your Gallup, NM podiatrist here at Animas Foot & Ankle.
- Toe Walking – (equinus gait) – is normal as children are learning to walk. However, it may be a sign of neuromuscular conditions such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy, leg length differences, spinal cord abnormalities and Achilles tendon shortness, if not outgrown. Consult your podiatrist in Gallup, NM if the condition persists or grows more severe for proper medical treatments.
- Be sure to cut your child’s toenails straight across to help prevent ingrown toenails. Watch for the telltale signs; pain, swelling, redness. A visit to our Gallup podiatry office for a simple in-office procedure will easily resolve the situation.
- Be sure to have your child’s feet measured overtime you buy new shoes. If a child is constantly taking of his or her shoes, that’s a tell tale sign they’ve outgrown them. Also look for blisters, corns or calluses.
At our podiatry center in Gallup, New Mexico, we’re here to help. If you’re concerned about the special needs of your child’s feet and foot conditions, call us at 505.847.8427 to request an appointment at one of our four convenient podiatry offices.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Gallup, NM podiatry office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
ABOUT ANIMAS FOOT & ANKLE
Your Top Rated Podiatrist In Gallup NM — Specializing In Children’s Foot Conditions.
our podiatrist, Dr. Hugentobler at Animas Foot & Ankle of Gallup, New Mexico (NM), Durango, Colorado (CO), Farmington, New Mexico (NM), and Moab, Utah (UT) treats all surgical and medical foot and ankle conditions, including children’s foot conditions.
Our podiatry offices offer the most effective and state-of-the-art, quality podiatry care services.
To start your journey towards seeing if your child has flat feet, schedule your appointment with our foot doctors today!
Our Gallup, New Mexico NM Podiatry Office – 505.863.7118
Our Durango, Colorado CO Podiatry Office – 970.259.3154
Our Farmington, New Mexico NM Podiatry Office – 505.326.2255
Our Moab, Utah UT Podiatry Office – 970.259.3154
WE ARE COMMITTED TO EARNING THE TRUST
OF OUR PATIENTS, COMMUNITY, AND PROFESSION.
For uncompromising excellence, our foot doctors can start helping you in several ways.